SEPTEMBER 2023 - FEBRUARY 2024
LIBERATION ACADEMY 2.0
The Liberation Academy was conceived to restore the intellectual scholarship, spiritual wisdom and creative richness which resides historically in Black, Indigenous, and other communities of color collective oral and underground traditions. The pilot Liberation Academy – or Liberation Academy 1.0 – was held January – June 2022 (read about it here).
August 26, 2023 – February 3, 2024: Liberation Academy 2.0 is a FREE series of workshops and intensive training to uplift BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) dancers and additional mentorship for dance makers of Afro-descent dedicated to freedom. It includes an intensive dance training and mentorship experience for Dance Makers of Afro-descent, a free series of workshops to uplift BIPOC dancers, and select free workshops open to all dancers.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Liberation Academy 2.0 offers three tracks:
- Liberation Academy Intensive for Dance Makers of Afro-Descent: A free INTENSIVE EXPERIENCE open to dance artists of Afro-descent to give tools and a platform to create and produce powerful performance work (The intensive experience is by AUDITION ONLY. See below for more info and to sign up for the audition).
- Dance Master Classes for BIPOC dancers: A free series of in-person MASTER DANCE CLASSES and online workshops open to all BIPOC movers, taught by Black dancers/choreographers. (Sign-ups coming soon!)
- OTA Workshops: A free series of select WORKSHOPS OPEN TO EVERYONE, in-person workshop and an online offering for anyone interested in participating. (Sign-ups coming soon!)
The Liberation Academy sessions are free. Different workshops are open to either everyone, artists who identify as BIPOC, or dancers of Afro-descent (please see the designation in the description). Liberation Academy events (other than the Liberation Academy Intensive) can be attended on a drop-in basis.
In these critical times we will use our critical theories to rescue ourselves as critically vital to our healing, survival and skill building towards Liberation. We choose to intersect all the siloed knowledge-based projects (ethnic studies/ feminism/ gender/ housing/ medicine) based in resistance movements begun in the 20th Century and revive them as critical (vital and necessary) collaborations. Yes WE WILL BE CRITICAL – as in critical to each other’s freedom, well-being and survival.
THE LIBERATION ACADEMY…
- asserts that Black and other artists/creatives of color exist as architects of wisdom and world building
- reclaims the idea of scholarship and wisdom
- dismantles the idea that if it’s not written down, it’s not real
- seeks to decolonize ideas and bodies
- uplifts Black and other artists of color across time as crucial to social justice movements
- sees dance as a metaphor for navigating the world
- sees rhythm and movement as a metaphor for coming into synch with one another
Questions? Please email Sarah Crowell at email@example.com.
The Liberation Academy is made possible by support from the SF Arts Commission and Dream Keepers Initiative.