The GRRRL Brigade is an intensive dance/leadership development program designed to provide high quality dance training, performance opportunities, and a sense of self-empowerment for San Francisco’s girls ages 9 to 18. Our goal is to give the girls, their parents, and our audience the inspiration, magic, and hope only evocative dance theater can spark in creating a just and peaceful world.
The girls are instructed by some of the San Francisco Bay Area’s leading dance and taiko artists. They take weekly classes in Modern-Jazz, Afro-Cuban Modern, Hip Hop and Taiko (Japanese drumming) from September to May and are encouraged to create their own choreography. The GRRRL Brigade performs around the Bay Area each year including “The Revolutionary Nutcracker Sweetie: The Kidz Version”, an alternative take on the holiday classic & “Peace On Earth and Justice For All”, our new winter show presented at Brava Theater; and a spring show at Dance Mission Theater written and choreographed by Dance Brigade staff and the girls, focusing on issues facing girls today and honoring great women past and present.
The GRRRL Brigade was founded in 2004 by Dance Brigade to extend its mission of building community through the arts by creating and teaching dance-theater that explores complex issues confronting contemporary Americans. The program originally for girls 13 – 18 years received such great support and encouragement from the families and our audiences that in 2006 we expanded to include girls 9 – 12 years old. Starting with 10 girls in 2004, we currently now have over 80 participants.
Modern/Contemporary: This class meets twice a week (Monday & Wednesday) and focuses on ballet & modern technique and choreography. Twice a week attendance is required to participate. In addition, we highly recommend taking ballet on Thursdays to improve and maintain technique level. Previous experience in modern or ballet is required to audition.
Hip-Hop & Taiko: These classes are held on Tuesdays back to back. Students may participate in one or both. Students must have experience in these disciplines in order to audition.
Students may participate in the Modern only or the Hip-Hop & Taiko only, or all of the above, depending on what level of commitment they are ready for.
Consistent attendance is required of all Grrrl Brigade & Jr. Grrrl Brigade students.
HOW DO I JOIN?
- GRRRLs ages nine and above interested in joining the GRRRL Brigade should email firstname.lastname@example.org and speak with Areyla Faeron, Grrrl Brigade Director. In-class auditions are held each fall in the first week of class but they must be scheduled in advance in addition to registering for the class.
- Grrrl Brigade & Jr. Grrrl Brigade Rep class is a twice a week commitment (Mondays & Wednesdays). Students are required to attend both days to participate.
- The required prerequisite classes for Jr. Grrrl Brigade are Ballet I & II on Thursdays & Modern Jazz I & II on Fridays.
- The required pre-requisite classes for The Jr. Grrrl Brigade Hip Hop & Taiko classes are kids hip hop for 9-12yr olds & Beg. Taiko I & II.
- Students should attend these classes for at least 3 semesters before trying out for the Jr. Grrrl Brigade.
- Students who take hip hop, taiko, modern, and ballet at Dance Mission Theater are tracked by the teaching staff and we keep an eye out for girls who might be ready to join the Jr. Grrrl Brigade.
All classes take place at:
Dance Mission Theater
3316 24th Street, SF CA 94110
(across from the 24th and Mission BART Station)
Phone: 415-826-kids (5437)
The GRRRL Brigade is partially funded in part by The Kimball Foundation, Sam Mazza Foundation, Walter & Elise Haas Fund, The San Francisco Foundation, The Bothin Foundation, & Crescent Porter Hale Foundation.
“[My Daughter] has learned so much at Dance Mission, and has developed confidence and self esteem along the way. This [program] reinforces that she has something to offer as a person and something to say as a dancer. Thank you!” – GRRRL Brigade Mama, 2009